Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Day + i don't remember anymore

I was released from the hospital on Friday and then re-admitted less than 24 hours later. I could not keep anything in my stomach including the pills that I need. I would just throw it all up.

BUT... Friday night we were able to celebrate Zane's birthday together as a family. Paul and Zane spent the night Friday and then went back home on Saturday. It was nice to be able to not be in the hospital around Zane for a bit. Even though I felt incredibly rotten.

So, I have been back in the hospital and it has been a baby step process for me to transition from IV antibiotics to oral antibiotics. Over the last couple of days we just try one at a time. My last one to try oral again was this morning. So far so good although I feel a bit nauseous.

My mucositis has kicked in big time although not actual soars (which is huge)! But my mouth constantly feels like a really dry port-o-let. No matter what I do, drink, eat or brush it always stays the same. This dry and yuck feeling flows all the way down to my stomach. My stomach can best be described as feeling like I have a small fire in there.

It seems to be a constant battle with my brain and stomach lately. This will last a while longer until my counts go up.

Today my platelets dropped to 10 so I had to have an infusion of blood platelets only. The other day I had had a blood transfusion of red blood cells. From what I hear, these will not be the only ones I will need till this is over.

So, we are heading back to the apartment today since I have kept all my meds down. This is a confusing decision really. A big part of me is nervous cause it didn't work out very well this last time. But on the other hand it will be nice to just veg out and not have someone taking my vitals every 4 hours.

Mom has been great!! A lot of pressure is on her to take care of me once at the apartment. It is crazy but she is not allowed to leave me. Which means that, for example, if we need some groceries she has to run and get them during my daily clinic hours or I have to go with her. Yes, they will let me go with her but as long as I wear a duck-bill mask. I have to wear one of those anytime I leave the hospital or apartment. She has to make sure the place is constantly wiped down. I have to have my own bathroom that no one else can use. Cooking meals is a lot of pressure when you are feeding someone with an immuno-suppressed diet. She also has to be always at the ready with a "clamp" of sorts JUST IN CASE something should happen or snag my catheter lines. Whew!

So between the two of us I think we are a bowl of bubbling nerves.
But we are doing it.


  1. Anonymous2:52 PM

    I am glad that you get to go into the apartment! That is wonderful! I am also glad to hear that you got to spend Zane's birthday with him. Please give him a hug and kiss from us...hope to meet that little man someday! My prayers and thoughts are with you and the family through everything! Loves and hugs Aunt Lisa

  2. Anonymous3:44 PM

    Hi, Sweetie, keeping up with you through your mom. I'm hoping you'll fell a little better once at the apartment...but, don't overdue it. If you feel bad, you've got to tell her, don't hold back. One day at a time....xxoooNana

  3. Anonymous4:04 PM

    have you tried sucking on popsicles for your tummy and dry mouth?? babe, if there is anything i can do, i am so close. i know it's hard w/your immune system, believe me i understand & would NEVER want to compromise it - but there are some things i may be able to help with if your mom can't leave you or what not, maybe?? just try and breathe slowly so possibly the nausea subsides. don't get ahead of yourself, try not to. b/c you had to be readmitted once doesn't mean it'll that way be all the time. all my love and healing energy to you....always!!! love you ~nikki

  4. Sending hugs, patience and perseverance your way...Love, Christy

  5. I'm glad you were released and able to return to the apartment. Hope each day is a little better for you. Belated Happy Birthday to Zane. I mailed a card to you at the hospital because I thought you'd be there for a few weeks. (I'm not sure where I got that idea from.) I guess the card will be MIA in the mail, but please know that I've been thinking about you and wishing you the best.